Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need to be licensed before receiving PCIT Training?
Trainees must be licensed (or under supervision for licensure) in order to provide PCIT services. Thus, trainees must have at least a Master’s Degree (or higher) in counseling/clinical psychology (or related field). Therapists who receive training before they are licensed, and wish to become a certified PCIT therapist, will need to become licensed before applying for PCIT Certification. More information on becoming a PCIT Certified Therapist.
Do I have to have a PCIT room/suite set up before receiving training?
It is highly recommended that you have an established PCIT room/suite prior to participating in PCIT Training. However, it is not required that you have a PCIT room/suite completed before PCIT training. If your PCIT room/suite has not been created, you should have established a plan for an appropriate PCIT room prior to training. Click here for more information on creating your PCIT room.
Will I be certified after attending a 40-hour on-site training?
No, in order to ensure fidelity and integrity to the PCIT model, PCIT Certified Therapists continue training (via weekly training calls) until trainees have successfully completed two PCIT cases. Click here for more information on becoming a PCIT Certified Therapist.
What is the benefit of becoming certified PCIT therapist?
Certified therapists through PCIT International will be:
- Formally recognized by PCIT International, and added to the PCIT website so that families and other professionals can contact you for evidence-based services
- Provided with a certificate to provide third-party payers that documents you are providing an evidence-based treatment
- Invited to the monthly PCIT International Certified Master Trainers call. These calls allow you to connect and collaborative with certified therapists across the globe
- Invited to join a listserv that is only for Certified Therapists. This exclusive listserv allows you to submit questions and read discussion on important topics from therapists across the United States
- Able to access continuing education opportunities offered by PCIT International. Continuing education is a requirement to keep your PCIT Certification current
- Provided with reduced rates for continuing education credits offered at the PCIT Biennial Conventions